Since 1974 the JPL Amateur Radio Club has participated in a number of special events to commemorate significant milestones in the exploration of the planets of our Solar system. Each of the special events were received enthusiastically by radio amateurs around the World and increased the public’s understanding of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory role in the unmanned exploration of outer space.
The following links are listed in chronological order. Each has color images, a short description of the special event and a link to a more detailed recap of the operation in the JPL ARC Journal “W6VIO Calling.” Many of the images are high quality, medium resolution, and may take some time to download if you are using a low speed modem or are on a busy circuit.
- 1968 First QSL Card (WA6DKJ)
- 1972 Apollo 16 QSL Card (WP6JPL)
- 1974 Mariner Venus/Mercury Encounter QSL Card (WS7MVM)
- 1976 Viking Mars Landing Special Event QSL Card (N6V)
- 1979 Voyager 1 Jupiter Encounter QSL Card (W6VIO)
- 1979 Voyager 2 Jupiter Encounter QSL Card (W6VIO)
- 1980 Voyager 1 Saturn Encounter QSL Card
- 1981 Voyager 2 Saturn Encounter QSL Card
- 1986 Voyager 2 Uranus Encounter QSL Card
- 1989 Voyager 2 Neptune Encounter QSL Card
- 1994 Apollo 11 25th Anniversary Commemorative QSL Card
- 1970 W6VIO “Rose” QSL Card (1970-2002)
- 2008 Explorer 1 Mission 50th Annivesary QSL Card
- Current W6VIO QSL Card