NOVEMBER 1992 Volume 21 No. 11
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- W6VIO CALLING M/S 264-419
- Attn: Eileen McKinney
- 4800 Oak Grove Drive
- Pasadena, California 91109
- PRESIDENT: RANDY HAMMOCK, KC6HUR
- VICE PRES: JIM KESTERSON, KA6IBF
- SECRETARY: DAVE SEIDEL, KC6NRL
- TREASURER: SCOTT BALZER, KC6NRP
- CLUB TRUSTEE: JAN TARSALA, WB6VRN
- EMERGENCY COMM COORD: WALT MUSHAGIAN, K6DNS
- DIRECTOR AT LARGE: ART ZYGIELBAUM, WA6SAL
- WB6IEA REPEATER TRUSTEE: WALT DIEM WA6PEA
- FACILITIES: MARK SCHAEFER, WB6CIA
- EDUCATION: GIL YANOW, K6TOS
- REPEATER: BOB DENGLER, N06B
- STRATEGIC PLANNING: JON ADAMS, NWSH
EDITOR: EILEEN MCKINNEY KA6DGV
- LAARC REP: MARK SCHAEFER, WB6CIA
- MEMBERSHIP SERVICES: RICK MCKINNEY, KA6DAN
- W6VIO Trailer: (818) 393-6312
- Voicemail & BBS: (818) 354-1751 (Future)
- WB6IEA 224.08 MHZ (-) Closed/Autopatch
- W6VIO 224.04 MHZ (-) PL-5A Open/Shuttle Audio
- W6VIO 147.15 MHZ (+) PL-1A Open
- WB6VRN 51.86 MHZ (-) PL-1A Future
- W6VIO-1 145.09 MHZ (S) Packet Node/BBS
- W6VIO-1 223.54 MHZ (S) Packet Node/BBS
- Everyone is welcome - Bring your lunch.
- 12 Noon
- Program - Second Wednesday of month In 238-543
- Business - Fourth Wednesday of month in 180-703B
Newsletter Article Deadline: The 5th day of each month. If the 5th falls on a weekend, the following Monday will be the deadline.
Your articles, ads, photos, diagrams, Letters to the Editor, or technical instructions should be submitted to Editor at address above.
EXCHANGE CLUBS: PLEASE NOTE ADDRESS ABOVE
Permission is granted to copy enclosed articles providing credit Is given to "W6VIO CALLING".
By Randy Hammock, KC6HUR
In keeping with a tradition that was started last year, we plan to have our second annual banquet in the early part of December. This banquet will be in lieu of the December general meeting. It will be held off-lab, in the evening, so that our off-lab members can participate in the activity. Also, spouses and children can attend this gala event. Last year's banquet was quite a success and It is hoped that this years will be likewise. More details will be mailed out shortly.
By David Seidel, KC6NRL
Minutes of the October 28, 1992 Board Meeting
In attendance were Randy Hammock, Jim Kesterson, Scott Balzer, Jan Tarsala, Wait. Mushagian, Greg La Borde, Randy Cassingham, Bob Dengler and David Seidel.
Randy H. called the meeting to order. Battery back-up for the .08 repeater was discussed. Although there is battery and generator back-up for the site, there is an interruption that, among other things, resets the auto patch clock. Wet cell ni-cads will be installed to prevent this.
The Goldstone ARC has become incorporated into the JPL ARC and no longer exists. A group will visit the site at Table Mountain to Inspect the equipment and establish the link to .04.
Bob reported on the status of the Palomar Telecom controller on loan from the West Coast ARC. Discussions included financial status from Scott and input from Jan. The discussions have since been rendered moot by recent events.
Mark Schaefer reported, via radio, that the shack air conditioner was out again and that he will pursue its repair.
Randy C. requested that JPL repeaters be made available to attendees of the 3rd International Mobile Satellite Conference to be held June 16-18. The board approved the request.
As per an Item brought up by Jim, the issue of a 2 meter omni antenna will be revisited at some future meeting.
By Bob Polansky, N6ET
28 and 29 November are the dates of this year's CQ CW Contest. This is one of the best contests of the year, and conditions have been pretty good for this part of the sunspot cycle. Don't miss it! Thanks to The DX Bulletin, here's some activities to look forward to:
BALEARIC ISLAND - EA6/N6RA will be an all band entry in the CQ WW Contest.
BANGLADESH - S21A has been reported at 14025 kHz at 0100Z. I
CAMEROON - TJ1GG is reported often. Listen on 28027 at 140OZ If the band is open, 7003 kHz at 0300Z, 14031 kHz at 0145 to 0400Z, and 3503 kHz at 0430Z.
CYPRUS - ZC4Z will be active from 25 November through 1 December Including the CO WW Contest.
MALDIVES - WX3N and AG9A will be operating from the Maldives from 30 November to 7 December. Look for them on 3501, 7001, and 26 kHz up from the low end primarily on CW. No call is yet assigned.
LIECHTENSTEIN - HBO/HB9AON will also provide CQ WW Contest QSO's to the lucky. They will be active from 23 to 29 November.
MIDWAY ISLAND - KD7P/KH4 and others will operate from here the last week in November. They'll be on all bonds and modes.
SEYCHELLES - Look for S79S during the CO, WW starting about 24 November.
TRINDADE - PY0TSN has been active on 20 SSB and will be available through 5 December. I heard him on 14184 at about 2300Z. Good luck and good listening. Good DX, Bob, N6ET
1993 JPL ARC OFFICER NOMINATIONS
By Manuel Caldera, KC6ZSY
As a result of the mailing to the club membership last month, I have only received 7 responses for recommendations for next year club officers. The results are as follows:
- PRESIDENT: VICE PRESIDENT:
- Jon Adams Walt Mushagian
- Randy Hammock (3) Jon Adams
- Manuel Caldera
- SECRETARY: TREASURER:
- Greg Kazz Scott Balzer (3)
The number next to the nominee indicates additional recommendations.
Go back to the W6VIO Calling Index.